Writing about art is not so very different from writing about other subjects. One of the main differences is that writing about art tends to be more descriptive. Art is a visual experience, and you cannot write meaningfully about it without describing what you see.
For this assignment compare and contrast “The Mona Lisa “1503-1517 by Italian painter Leonardo da Vinci and “Self-Portrait with Monkey “1938, by Mexican painter Frida Kahlo.
When talking about each painting make sure you use the name of the painting you are talking about and describe the work without using words like "beautiful" or "ugly".
Paragraph one: (Each paragraph should be at least four sentences.)
Describe the two paintings in detail so that your readers can easily visualize them without actually seeing them. For each painting answer the following questions:
• What is the title and who is the artist?
• When and where was the work created? You may need to look some things up.
• Describe the elements of art the artist used in the work (i.e. Line, Shape, Color, Space, Texture, Value, Form) and describe how the artist used each element.
• Describe the subject matter. Describe all the recognizable people, places and things?
Paragraph Two: Compare and Contrast the two works:
• Identify some of the similarities throughout the work.
•Is the composition the same? Explain how
•Are the elements of art use in a similar way? Explain how
• Identify some of the differences in the work.
•Is the subject matter the same or different? Explain how
Paragraph Three: Your ideas and Interpretation: What is the artwork about?
•Describe what the works makes you think of or feel.
• Express what you think each of the artworks is about in one sentence.
• What evidence inside or outside the artwork supports your interpretation?
• Do you think each of the works of art are successful? Why or why not